If you have ever been to the dentist’s office, there is a huge chance that you have noticed the different tools that are out on display. While looking at them, you might find yourself wondering what their purpose is. You could even feel intimidated because you are oblivious about their use. Knowing about them in advance can help you become more aware about the procedure you will be undertaking, while also setting your mind at ease. Here are some of the most popular dental tools and their functions:
- Mouth Mirror: One of the tools that are used by dentists is the mouth mirror – a small, circular mirror that is attached to a long handle. This is used to look at tight spaces in your mouth, especially to check for areas that might have tartar buildup. Another purpose that it serves is to push your tongue or cheek out of the way, giving a better view of your teeth.
- Saliva Ejector: The saliva ejector is a small vacuum that aims to eliminate all of your spit during the treatment. That way, it will make it easier for the dentist to perform their work.
- Scalers: Scalers are the hooked instruments that scrape plaque and tartar off your teeth. You will be able to distinguish it from other tools, based on the unpleasant scraping sound it makes.
- Drill: If you have a cavity, there is a huge chance that it will need a drill to remove the area of decay and prepare the tooth for a filling.
- Probe: A probe examines your gums and is also used to check for any possible signs of gum disease.
- Intraoral Camera: If you have ever wondered what your dentist is looking at, it is an intraoral camera! These cameras allow patients to look at their own teeth and see what the dentist sees.
- X-Ray Machine: If you are a new patient or unfamiliar with X-rays, they will need to be taken during your visit. Certain dental clinics use digital X-rays, because they are quick and emit less radiation than regular ones.
- Now that you know all about the necessary tools that dentists use, you have no reason to be afraid during your next visit!
Afsara Tasnim is a content writer for BreezeMaxWeb, who helps businesses grow their online presence through creating engaging copy. During her spare time, she enjoys taking photographs of nature and exploring the outdoors.